Settling in Australia has been extremely smooth! This country was built with travellers in mind, making the move from your home country to this beautiful place a comfortable transition!
I was so pleased to have my phone up and running within the first hour of arrival in Australia, and having my own unlocked phone made the process even easier! I’ve said this before but I think one of the key ingredients to traveling is buying an unlocked phone, and here’s why…
- You can put any SIM card in it and use it anywhere in the world.
- You can take advantage of the month-to-month prepaid plans which offer the freedom of canceling any time without paying a cancellation fee.
- You save tons of money by using SIM only plans which are so much cheaper than yearly contracts.
- You can take it to any phone carrier and have your line set up within hours!
Before moving to Australia, I did a bit of research for the best and cheapest phone plans and I’m excited to share the results with you guys! Below are all the phone plans for $20 or less that offer unlimited talk & text + 2 GBs of data/month.
- Moose Mobile at $19/month – this is the company I decided to go with as they had the best reviews and are very affordable. Their package also includes unlimited SMS and MMS within the country. I’ve been very happy with their network and their customer service is outstanding! You can check out more packages by them here.
- Yomojo at $19.90/month offers almost the same package as Moose Mobile! You can find more packages on their website.
- Amaysim at only $20/month offers an extra 500MB of data compared to the companies mentioned above. Check out all their packages here.
*UPDATE: after only a month in Australia I’v learned that 2GBs of data is not enough! I have recently upgraded to the 10GBs plan with Moose Mobile and this package comes with $300 international credit, meaning you can call anywhere in the world and you won’t get charged international fees! This package is only $34/month!
The beauty of all these plans is that you can buy them online and the companies will mail your SIM card to any address in Australia. I bought a package with Moose Mobile 4 days before arriving in Australia and I had my phone up and running by the time I checked in to my hostel!
The companies above were my top 3 picks. You can check out more phone carriers and packages that suit your needs by visiting WhistleOut – an awesome comparison website for all phone companies and plans offered in Australia.
Lastly, if you’re already in Australia and not planning on staying for long, it’s always a good idea to check out big phone companies for pay-as-you-go SIM cards! Depending on how much you use your phone this might be a better option for you.